Marco Studio Meets the Office
No matter how you found yourself here today, we welcome you with open arms and jokes a dime a dozen. If you are coming to this post from the Map Gallery (or live in the GIS world in general), you know that today marks the kick-off of the 2017 Esri User Conference in San Diego! While our crew is hard at work soaking up as much Esri-coated knowledge in the Golden State as possible, we wanted to give you a chance to check in on our favorite friend, Marco, and his shenanigans in the office.
Marco Studio Meets the Office
What is "Marco"?
Marco is short for Integrated Marco Studio, a svelte suite of applications designed for the Knowledge Management of GIS and spatial data.
Wait, I thought "Marco" was an IT guy?
Well, we like to think of him as the "ideal" IT guy. He is always around to get the job done, helping you whenever he can. His idealistic nature comes in when you realize he's not asking you to turn your machine off and on again or leaving energy drinks at your desk.
What applications are included in this suite?
Integrated Marco Studio is currently made up of five solutions, all varying in their platform and purpose. The applications include:
- Integrated Marco Desktop - An Add-In for ArcGIS, this toolkit aides in the location (and fixing!) of broken layers and ArcGIS Map Documents as well as inventorying enterprise data, modifying files, and maintaining metadata.
- Integrated Marco Pro - An Add-In for ArcGIS Pro, this toolkit helps to convert existing ArcGIS Map Documents to Pro-compatible Map Projects, in addition to inventorying and fixing broken files in your Pro environment.
- Integrated Marco Palette - An Add-In for ArcGIS, this toolkit is designed to help you wrangle your corporate registries and keep access to files housed in multiple locations centralized for easy access. Its tools allow you to build and view data registries defining layers that may add to an ArcMap workspace.
- Integrated Marco Commander - A command-line based application, Commander is a robust solution to inventorying spatial data across an enterprise system to discern the health, use, and connections of resources maintained. Although originally run from within a terminal to enable easy configuration, it can also be run via the Integrated Marco Mystic interface.
- Integrated Marco Mystic - Bringing search and discovery to the web, this solution allows you to perform Integrated Marco Commander tasks and search/analyze the results of your Spatial Data Inventory, all from the comfort of your favorite web browser.
Are any of these applications compatible with ArcGIS Pro?
Yes! Integrated Marco Pro is specifically designed for use inside of ArcGIS Pro. It is deployed via the ribbon Add-In and has much of the same functionality as found in Integrated Marco Desktop. It allows for the discovery and fixing of Layer Files and ArcGIS Pro Map Projects - as well as the conversion of ArcGIS Map Documents to these Map Projects. For those wishing to consume similar functionality within ArcMap, Integrated Marco Desktop allows you to natively convert ArcGIS Map Documents to Map Projects as well.
Did "The Office" really use these tools?
Well..."our" office really does! Yours can too, you know. We just thought with the range of personalities and tasks we all encounter in our professional lives, we could let the quirkiest group of officemates we know allow their shenanigans to act as a stage for its many uses. I am still a firm believer if they had really used this, Kelly would have come up with much more nicknames than we ever could.
Where can I view this Map Poster for myself?
If you are at the Esri User Conference this week, drop by the Map Gallery and check out panel F-15-05. Aren't at the show? Download the full version here.